… about licorice! Weird, I tell ya!
As part of my Expat experience I do make it a point to try out the local cuisine. The Danes have lots of yummy foods and dishes, and their pastry is to die for! But, and there is a big BUT (and I am really on the fence about it), they have a tendency to put licorice in, or on, everything. And I do mean everything! If you can stick a fork or a spoon in it – there will be licorice.
Here is a list of all the foodstuffs I have found with licorice in (I am talking about both the sweet and the salty licorice):
- Sweets (of course, as this is the way licorice is meant to be eaten)
- Ice cream (both as flavoring and sprinkles on top)
- Cakes (I dare you to find a cake without licorice!)
- Beer (!!!)
- Pickled Herring
- Marinade for beef and other meets
Ketchup and other tomato based sauces
- Salad dressing
- Boiled veggies, like cabbage
- Salt (yes, they put licorice in the salt and sprinkle it on their dinner!)
- Puddings (desserts)
- Cured fish